April 25, 2008

Farewell Poe Meow

On April 24th, 2008 at 3:35 AM, we said goodbye to our dear sweet Poe Meow. He was not feeling well for about a week. At 16 years old, he was still very active. His last day, he seemed very weak. I sensed that it was time, so I held him and made him as comfortable as possible. He took his last breath in my arms. It seemed only right, as mine was the first face he ever saw, and so it should be the last. He wasn't just a pet, he was family, and as such we feel an enormous sense of loss in our home. He has been at my side for almost half my life. I can't even remember not having him in my life. Those who knew him were truly blessed because he was just full of love, willing to give it to everyone. He always wanted to be near us, or cuddle with us. Always within eyesight. He wasn't shy, or skittish, or nervous. And he wasn't scared of anything either, even big ol' dogs. He touched our hearts and made everyone smile. He was The Best Cat In The World, truly! Ben and Poe would actually carry on conversations. He was very special and will be greatly missed, and forever loved. Even though he had a long full life, no matter how long he was with us would never be long enough....16 years, 20 years, 40 years.....it would never be enough time to spend with such a wonderful companion.