April 12, 2010

Farewell Sweet ZC

Today, April 12th, 2010 was a most difficult day. As many of you may remember, in January we found out our little calico cat ZC had cancer. The vet said it was inoperable. For over four months we lived with the knowledge that our little ZC wouldn't be with us much longer. We've had her for over ten years. She was Ben's (my hub's) first pet. We were volunteering at the Humane Society when I spotted her and knew instantly she was the cat for Ben. She had just the right amount of attitude, but was lovey and sweet too. She made us laugh at how prim and proper she could be, and how she kept her paws so white and her feet so pink. We often said her fur was as soft as rabbit fur. And those gosh darn freckles were too cute! She was a kitten when we brought her home and Ben accidentally shut her tail in a drawer that very first night! Oh he thought she would hate him. But she loved us....usually on her own terms, but that was ok with us. We said we would keep her until her quality of life deteriorated. Unfortunately that happened within the last couple of weeks. The cancer was eating her up. But she was such a trooper...never complained, and was lovey right up to the end. The hardest thing as I'm sure any pet owner will agree, is having to make the choice of putting your pet down. Even knowing it was coming, our hearts just broke. Knowing we will never see her again, or hear her purr leaves a gaping hole in our hearts, in our family. I think in some way we were hoping she would go naturally here at home, like Poey did. That would have given us some relief I suppose. But to have to make that decision even knowing it's in her best interest just twists the knife in our hearts. Strangely, it was the month of April that we lost Poey too. Mental note: April is not a good month for cats.... So we say farewell to our little ZC...Kitten Pie, Presh Pie, Our Girl, Little Lady. Our hearts are heavy now and she will always be missed and always loved. I hope she found Poey and they will both greet us when it is our time to pass. She filled our hearts and home with love and humor, and our hearts and home will never be the same without her. We love you ZC, you'll always be "Our Girl."

5 comments:

Big Mamma~ a.k.a. Mary S said...

Oh Melissa, I am soooo soooo sorry for your loss. I don't think I know a person that loves animals as much as I. I also have two cats, we have 4 dogs, birds, fish, a turtle.. If I could make the list longer I would and it pains me to think that I will be your position one day. The love I have for my "family" is greater than any word can describe. ZC is beautiful .. I say IS because she will always be there with you.

Love to you from Big Mamma.

Meg said...

I'm sorry Melissa hugs and love and I was so happy to spend Time with you! Hope to see you soon and can't wait to keep working with you!

Tammy said...

Oh Melissa I am so sorry to hear about ZC. The loss of a pet is hard as they are such a part of our families and bring us so much unconditional love and joy. You will be in my thoughts!

Tammy

Cheryl B said...

So sorry for your loss. I understand how empty your home may seem, and hope you find peace and comfort knowing she is in heaven.

Jeannie Phillips said...

Oh this broke my heart!!!...just broke my heart!!.... are animals are our family so I understand your lost...big hugs
Jeannie