August 6, 2012

Hot Air Ballooning

Happy first Monday of August! Hard to believe it's August. Where did the summer go? This week's challenge at Bitten By The Bug2 is to use a hot air balloon cut, or an airplane if you don't have the balloon.  Hot air balloons are so popular right now. Although I do not have a cartridge that has a hot air balloon on it, I still wanted my project to feature it. So instead what I did was cut 6 flower petals from Flower Shoppe, used one as a base, folded the other 5 in half and glued them back to back to create a 3D hot air balloon. I cut out a square from coordinating paper, border punched one edge, and attached it with foam dots as the basket. I tied baker's twine through the basket and attached to the back of the hot air balloon. I added a strip of patterned paper that had parachuting frogs on it and even cut out a frog to sit in the basket. I adhered several puffy stickers including the dog in the basket, the bees and the swirls. The final touches were letter stickers to the basket and rhinestones to the corners. The hot air balloon is kind of elongated, and I considered trimming down the flower petals it's made from, but decided not to. I'm still not sure if that would look better or not. I really like the idea of the doggie and his froggie friend going on a trip in a hot air balloon. Isn't that silly? Go check out the other designer's creations at BBTB2! You'll be glad you did.
Miles of Smiles,







10 comments:

Carole Beath said...

Very ingenious design, Melissa... You made this challenge happen by your talented mind..
Carole

Anonymous said...

How cute! Love, love your 3D balloon. And such cute passengers.

Brenda said...

OMGosh Melissa what a clever idea!! I am so in love with your 3D hot air balloon! I am in awe and almost speachless. lol Love the puffy stickers and the frog along with the dog-too cute! Hugs!

Jeri said...

Melissa, you are so creative. I'm so grateful that you chose to use the featured cut in such a unique and unusual way. We can all learn so many things from looking at all the Design Team creations. Never in a million years would I have thought to make such an incredible creation with flower petals. Pure genius and great inspiration. Thanks so much for participating in my Fly Away challenge. I so appreciate it.

Sandi said...

what a great dimensional balloon, so creative, and love your pup in the basket, hugs

DonnaMundinger said...

Super fun and creative, Melissa! Love the little doggie peeking out. Just fabulous, Chickie! xxD

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

How smart are you? This is so creative. Love the 3D balloon and the cute little pup.

Glenda said...

Pretty card! How clever to make your own balloon from flower petals! Turned out gorgeous! Love it!
Glenda

Penny'sfromHeavenreborn Nursery said...

Fabulous card, love the 3D effect..


Hugs
Penny

Bella and Aidees Mom said...

This is very cute..Love the 3d effect...krista