January 12, 2018

Steampunk Christmas Tree

 Here's many of the items I used to decorate the Steampunk tree. 

The top hats are from the Dollar Tree (for mardi gras). I painted them bronze and added gears, sequins, clock hands and ribbon. I didn't hang them. Instead I set them on the tree branches.






The little vials I got at Hobby Lobby in the jewelry section. They already had the little eye screw in the cork stopper. I filled them with glow in the dark pigment powder I got on Amazon, and a clock hand. They were hung with the fancy hooks here. Those fancy hooks are FABULOUS! I got them in a pack of 20 at At Home. They make any ornament outstanding!





I had a small roll of copper wire from Lowe's. I cut it into about 6 inch sections, wrapped it around a pen, and folded one end into a hook. Voila! Copper icicles.
I cut these gears on my Cricut out of a copper glitter foam sheet. They are about 4 inches each. I hung them with fishing line.
The stars are made from various size washers. I added bronze sequins and gears. They are hung with fishing line.
These are the snowmen made from nuts. A washer is used as the brim for the top hat, and clock hands for arms. I added copper glitter glue to the edges.










These metal roses were on clearance at Michael's. I painted them metallic colors and added glitter glue to the edges. The were hung with fishing line.
The ornaments here are a combination of Tim Holtz Ornate Plates, damask ribbon for the background, gears, clock hands, arrows, and glitter glue. Hung with fishing line.
 The heart with gears is actually a button.
This pic is sideways. The frames were found at At Home on clearance. I added Steampunk images from Graphic 45 and they are hung with fishing line.
 These next two sets of ornaments are my favorite. I found clearance key plates at Michaels, painted them metallic colors, added wire, beads, gears, clock hands and sequins. they were hung with the fancy beaded hooks and looked AH-mazing!

 I did not make the large pocket watch, that's from Cracker Barrel. The rest of them I made using jewelry blanks and Graphic 45 Steampunk images. They are hung with ribbon.
 The deer were found at the Dollar Tree already in these glittery colors. They had a bow, evergreen and berries glued to them which I removed. I added the Steampunk gear accents.
I found these tiny metal frames for 79 cents at American Candle on a trip to the Poconos in PA. I hung a few upside down for variety. Each one has a steampunk Santa in it. I added glitter glue to the frame and hung them with fishing line.
 The keys are permanent decor in our house on display in the hallway in the guest wing. Many were found at Michael's when the dollar bins were all a dollar. Oh the good ol' days. I hung them on the tree without hooks.
The garland was a killer! I couldn't find anything I liked that wasn't pricey. So I decided to make my own. I cut sheets and sheets of cardstock gears on my Cricut. Then I painted them...front AND back with metallic paints in gold, bronze, and copper. What a task! This was the hardest and longest project. Once I finally finished painting them, I strung them on fishing line with gold beads. There was about 90 feet of garland. It was worth it! A very original and unique garland perfect for our Steampunk tree!
No Steampunk tree is complete without a set of Edison light bulbs. I found a set of 20 for $10 at Walmart and they were just what I needed!
 I stuck these metallic bunches around the angel tree topper.
 A sample of some of the ball ornaments.
 Mercury glass.
 Random bits and baubles. Blue wire and bead stars, a cloisonne ornament, metal woven star, wire beaded ball ornament, and silver owls.
 Metal foldable orbs from Old Time Pottery.
Finally, the beautiful metal cut and embossed angel tree topper. I found her at Old Time Pottery too, but she wasn't a tree topper. I removed the base so I could put lights inside and sit her atop the tree. I loved her. I thought about adding bronze or copper paint, but she really was perfect just like this.

I hope you enjoyed learning about my Steampunk Christmas tree!

Happy new year!

No comments: